Thursday, July 26, 2012

HOW DID I GET HERE??

Well don't really have anything new to blog about....still tracking with my friends and learning from all of our successes and also from our bumps!!
Search and Rescue is moving along nicely...we passed probation and now really need to push forward. With the passing of probation I have come to realize that I wasn't sure that we would make it....was I good enough, was Quila good enough...I mean who am I and do I really have the ablity to train Quila?
So I was having one of my long talks with my friend, Michelle and we were discussing how we got to where we are today with our dogs...we are going to post a joint blog in the near future about our working dogs...so stay tuned...remember you can go to Michelle's blog by looking at my profile info...she has alot of knowledge and great information on her blog....anyways I degress....I am just a average person who has always had a dog....at least since being an aldult. I started out with a cross breed dog for my kids, then later we got a sheltie...moved on to a bassett hound and then my first golden....and now my second golden , Quila. I had no training at all until the first golden....but each of my dogs was well trained for basic obedience...I guess I must have just had common sense with them and their training. My sheltie did go to work with me and so was my first working dog....although I had no idea that was what I had created!!
With each dog I have gained knowledge...knowledge about training and also that each dog and each breed is unique.
When I got my first golden, Tanen I was lucky enough to go to Lorrie's training classes....then become her friend and  later we supported each other as we did dog shows together....didn't start till Tanen was 6 years old...but was hooked .
I got Quila with the intentions of doing dogs shows....and then exploring other areas that I hadn't done yet... like agility . When I got involved in the Search and Rescue I really didn't think I was good enough to train my dog...even with the help they provide. Mary Anne ....who monitors and assists me in my training for it ,has been great...supportive and also teaching my why we need to do things a certain way....Quila is my pet and I love her but more than that she is now a working dog...she and I have responsiblities to do a good job in her training so that  we can do our job properly when we are out trying to find an lost person.
So now we will continue forward with the knowledge that I can train her, with help, and that we will be a great team and asset to our province.

I will talk more about the working dog when Michelle and I do our joint blog....
So now that I realize that Quila and I can and are doing it....we are stepping up the training and loving it.
We are going to add Human Remains to her training  , which will make her a crossed trained Search and Rescue dog.

The question was asked as to where we get our Human Remains....well unlike the states we do not use body parts...but the items we do get are thur approved organizations ...we have to have items to train with ...otherwise we could not train the dogs. We use hair, clothing of deceased , blood items etc.

Well that is enough for today....I am loving what we are doing and I can't tell you how rewarding it is


A few pics of us tracking yesterday....



 Her is Michelle and Ash showing the item that Ash found....notice Michelle's coordination with her jacket and sunglasses...unfortunately she was not coordinated with her dogs harness!!
 Here Quila shows her alert when she found her article...she had barked first.
Quila had a good day....did some article searches, tracking and some hides.
I have said before that a hider can make or break a dogs training....so I am so lucky that my friends work hard to help me and do a great job as hiders.
 Kristine and Teah also found their article...
Now us girls needed some nurishment after a hard morning....so off to Boston Pizza for some lunch....

No comments:

Post a Comment