Sunday, May 27, 2012

SEARCH AND RESCUE TRAINING MAY 27,2012


Today I woke up at 5 am, after working an evening shift, to head off to Edmonton for Search and Rescue training ...didn't seem like a really good idea at 5 am, but once I was there it was worth every minute of lost sleep.
First Quila and I did some article searches. Articles are any item...wallets, gloves, phones, glasses etc.and she has to find them and "alert" on them. Alert on them, means to lay down and bark until I get to her and she the article. She then gets rewarded for finding the article....then it is back to work to find the next one.
I was getting a little frustrated as I didn't think Quila was working really well at first ,but luckily  Mike was able to  help me to read the wind correctly....as I was having my scent blow to Quila...thus masking any other scents. Once I was in correct postition to the wind Quila found all the articles and alerted correctly....she was awesome!!





 Quila getting her reward for finding and article
You can't see it but there is an article in the hole by her front paws....she did so well today....I am so proud of her....now if we could just train her handler!!


 Quila just found this hider and she being rewarded with a great game of tug
 Here she is just locating the hider

Here she just finished a warehouse search

Quila did a number of outside searches as well as some inside searches of the warehouse. She did her job really well and found all the hiders quickly and alerted with continued barking until I got to her. She is coming along really nicely.
I will post some more pics tomorrow of other members of the team....it is taking my computer to long tonight

2 comments:

  1. Great pics of Miss Quila working hard in her SAR training - I can see why you are so proud of her!

    Cheers from your tracking comrades
    Michelle & Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle ... It is so awesome to watch quila work and then to think I trained her!
    Yes... I am so proud of her

    ReplyDelete